Saturday, February 6, 2010

My brother's girlfriend - who I adore - sent me this.  I want to share it with all of you, especially if you are raising boys.

POEM OF THE MOTHER
The heart goes out ahead
scouting for him
while I stay at home
keeping the fire,
holding the house down
around myself
like a skirt from the high wind.
The boy does not know
how my eye strains to make out
his small animal shape
swimming hard across the future
nor that I have strengthened myself
like the wood side of this house
for his benefit.
I stay still
so he can rail against me.
I stay at the fixed center of things
like a jar on its shelf
or the clock on the mantel
so when his time comes
he can leave me.
Myra Sklarew

1 comments:

Katie W. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is an awesome poem. Makes me want to go and hug my son!