Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bubye Spring Break....

I'm not sure if I've ever been so sad to see a spring break bite the dust as I am right now.  I'm sure part of it is because this is one of the latest spring breaks I've ever had, and therefore the best weather for such galavanting as spring break surely entails. Or perhaps if it is because I've actually enjoyed this week way more than I enjoyed my entire maternity leave this winter (which I believe has a LARGE part to do again with the weather).  The boys and I got into a routine and we had a lot of fun together.  Like I mentioned in the last post, spring break is TOTALLY different than it was during my carefree childless days, but different doesn't mean good or bad....just, different.

The days of productive week-long breaks are well behind us.  I can't even really tell you if I got anything accomplished this past week - it is such a blur.  I can tell you what I didn't get done.....I didn't get the house spring cleaned.  I didn't get a single piece of jewelry made.  I didn't write out a single lesson plan.  And I didn't edit a single photo for any of my clients.

What did I do?  I went on walks every day.  I kissed ouchies.  I took naps.  I ate lunch with a very worn out bear and monkey.  I blew bubbles.  I ate elaborate and drawn out breakfasts.  I raced cars and trucks outside.  I went to the zoo.  I had a picnic in the park.  I changed a lot of diapers.  I pulled out all of my summer clothes.  And I jumped in mud puddles. 

Being a working mom is miserable and rewarding at the same time.  Sometimes I feel guilty that I get to take a week like this past one off, when other working moms and dads don't.  If I could have one wish for the world it wouldn't be world peace (I've pretty much given that one up).  It would be that everyone got a spring break to feel refreshed and alive.  And who knows, it might just lead to world peace.

0 comments: