Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Collision of Worlds

The other day I was at the grocery store when I heard my name yelled across the fancy cheese case.  I looked over completely surprised to see an artist that I worked with when I owned and curated the art gallery.  I was thinking that it had been about a year since I had seen him and how he looked exactly the same.  He asked me how motherhood was, and I of course was surprised that he remembered.  Just as I was answering Dustin pulled up with our cart full of food and babies.  I was surprised by the shocked look in my artist-friend's eyes, and then it occurred to me that he only expected to see one baby.  How quickly time flies.  He had no idea that Liam existed.  He said that the last time he saw me I was waiting to bring Miles home.  That feels like lifetimes ago, but my memory of working with this artist didn't.  Just then, for the first time as a mother I felt my two worlds collide.  Here was someone that knew me only as an artist and gallery owner.  My nights of sipping hand-selected glasses of wine while listening to jazz and talking art with people who found time only to create.....(forgoing the occasional shower and meal) were what tied me to this person.  He knows me as Tiffany - art lover and art maker.  My cartfull of babies?  They know me as Mom - nose wiper, macaroni maker, Popsicle eater, car-ramp maker, and storytimer reader (specialty voices included).

2 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a cool moment to recognize. Hopefully it was a happy collision of worlds :)

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It is always amazing to run into someone who knew you "back when...". I often don't realize how much life has change until confronted w/the way it used to be.