Sunday, August 29, 2010

To my dear sweet boys....

Dear Miles and Liam,

Tonight marks the official end to this adventure called "summer vacation."  Tomorrow this mama's got to get up early, put on some professional clothing, and head out into the working world once again.  I knew this day would come, and back in June when I was trying to figure you boys out, I didn't think it could come soon enough.  I'm here to report that it has indeed come too soon.

Little Liam, what am I going to do all day without your smile everytime I walk into the room?  Never again will you be eight months old, crawling everywhere and getting into absolutely everything.  This was my chance to be everything for you.  I hope that we made the most of it.  I know you won't remember this summer, but know that I always will.  My first summer with my dear, sweet, funny, and charming Liam.  I'd like to make a deal with you....if you promise to save your first steps for your sorry, pathetic working mom, I promise to give you all the sweet potato puffs your little heart desires (within reason).  Do we have a deal little boy?

And Miles, my big, bouncing boy.  Your laugh!  How will I survive my days without hearing it run through the house, jumping on the bed, or doing somersaults in the living room?  I'm sorry I didn't think I could survive this summer, because we actually were really good at figuring out what summer was all about.  I'm sorry also for the terrible summer haircut I gave you myself.  I promise it won't happen again.  I need you to promise me that you won't start pedaling your tricycle while I'm gone.  You're so close!  Just wait until I get home to watch you perfect it.

Boys, promise me that tomorrow while I'm gone you won't grow even a smidgen.  Save all of your fun and games for when I get home so that I don't miss a thing.  You are not allowed to read any stories, look for bugs, jump on your beds, go for walks, or play in your sandbox without me.  Don't even think about getting out your swimming pool and sprinkler until I get home.  There will be no tickling or giggling while I'm gone.  I need you to promise that smiling will be kept to a minimum and that you will be waiting for me at the door when I come home.  Promise that you'll miss me as much as I miss you.  I promise you that it isn't possible.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh mama... this post touched me so deeply and moved me to tears. Good luck with the transition, and I hope your boys honor your requests.

Cori said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Good luck tomorrow! The role of a working mother is so bittersweet.

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

and now I'm crying.

Despite how hard tomorrow will be, I'm glad your summer vacation turned into something you will miss.

Good luck tomorrow.