Saturday, October 2, 2010

I wish...

Yesterday my students asked me what I was like in high school - some 13 years ago.  I had a hard time explaining to them what I was like.  I was certainly different than I am today, but there were elements of my true self there.  I was an idealist, hopeful, typical teenager.  But my students don't understand that abstract answer.  They wanted concrete descriptions.  So this morning I made this list for them.  Things I wish I would have done differently. We all have this list.  Some people have a longer list, and some people have a much shorter list.  This is my list.

What I wish I had done differently in high school...
I wish I would have asked my parents for more advice.
I wish I wouldn't have rolled my eyes so much.
I wish I would have embraced my teenage metabolism.
I wish I would have spent less time getting my feelings hurt, and more time building up others.
I wish I would have taken more art classes.
I wish I wouldn't have ever given that English teacher any reason to call me a "typical blond."
I wish I would have convinced everyone to vote for my best friend for Homecoming Attendant b/c she deserved it.
I wish I would have showed up for yearbook pictures my senior year instead of skipping school that morning because it seemed too inconvenient.
I wish I would have hung out with my brothers more.
I wish I would have spent less time talking and more time listening.
I wish I would have tried harder in Spanish class.
I wish I would have spent more time at home.
I wish I would have had better taste in music.
I wish I wouldn't have spent so much time worrying about embarrassing myself.
I wish I would have taken more math, because I really liked it.
I wish I would have had more conviction.
I wish I would have been nicer to the detention supervisor because she didn't deserve my snide attitude.
I wish I would have tried out for the school play.
I wish I would have realized how fragile human life is.
I wish I would have spent more one-on-one time with my youngest brother...taking him out for ice cream and other treats.
I wish I wouldn't have been so bossy.
I wish I would have hung out more with the people that would later become my really close friends.
I wish I would have been nicer to my mom and dad.
I wish I would have been a better and more cautious driver.
I wish I would have stuck up for people more.
I wish I would have chosen the colors I wanted for our Junior Prom (white and champagne) instead of the other colors that the popular girls wanted (black and red).
I wish I would have told my Social Studies teacher that I admired her.
I wish I would have taken a Family Consumer Science class.
I wish I would have embraced my inner artist more.
I wish I would have told my family that I love them more often.
I wish I would have spent less time worrying about my grades, and more time worrying about what I was learning.
I wish I would have freed myself of prejudice and skepticism, and would have embraced love and acceptance.
But most of all, I wish I would have been nicer to myself.

Now, for all of you other bloggers out there...  I would LOVE to see your list - and if possible share it with my students/children.  What do you wish? Go!

8 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oooh... I LOVE this! Absolutely love it. And I will take you up on your challenge, but am intimidated by the detail of your list! :) It's wonderful. Hmm... I'll be thinking.

Hilary said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just did it! :) Thanks for the idea.

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You know I love a good list! Definitely count me in, though I need some time to gather my thoughts. Yours is excellent...my fav is being more concerned with what you were learning than your grades.

katie zeller said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

challenge accepted.

Kara said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great list! I am thinking about mine...

Cori said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is a really thoughtful list. Wouldn't it be awesome if your students took away even one of your items and were able to apply it to their own lives?

I've got to take some time and think about this!

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Okay, here's mine:

http://ispyafamily.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-wish.html

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Is it too late for me to say that I admire you and the entire art department?