Saturday, April 16, 2011

Chalk One Up for the Good Guys

This week I accomplished something that in my world is pretty amazing.  Liam got some sort of weird cold in his eye that I had never seen before.  By "weird" I mean gross, puffy, red, and crusty.  Dustin and I talked a little bit about taking him to the doctor, but it really didn't seem like much.  He wasn't complaining about it anyway - just when I'd jab a washcloth at it trying to make it look less gross.
Do you know what I did?  I can tell you what I didn't do...the thing I would typically do.  I didn't call my mom and ask her what I should do.  I didn't even call my sister-in-law nurse practitioner, as is my usual practice in pseudo emergencies.  I didn't describe it to my good friend Dawn who has ample experience in childhood illnesses and a similar casual parenting style to myself.  AND I didn't call the doctor.
So what did I do?  I thought back to my childhood and when I used to get nasty eye infections.  It started out with a stick being thrown from a great distance and landing in my eye by a certain younger brother that is to remain nameless, but was really mad at me at the time - probably for being more awesome than him...but I digress.  I remembered my mom putting vaseline on my eye.  Isn't that weird?  But that's what I did.  I didn't consult the internet or call a nurse-on-call.  I just did it.  On a whim.  Like that.  And it WORKED people.
Who's the "Good Guy" in the title?  Me.
Why is this significant?  Because I did something that came naturally to me as a mom.  I didn't ask for advice.  I just did it.
What does this mean?  That I obviously know everything there is to know about parenting.  I am obviously an expert.  And I obviously don't need advice.
Now I'm going to reward myself with a nice big bowl of ice cream for being so awesome.... right after I call my mom to ask her what she thinks about switching Liam from two naps to one, and checking the internet to see what the experts think of feeding hotdogs to my son.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ha! nice work Queen of Awesomeness. :)
whoda thunk... vaseline!

everythingismeowsome said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

for some reason, that makes me think of the dad on My Big Fat Greek Wedding who put Windex on everything.
Glad it worked! When I had pinkeye I asked all of my FB friends what I should do. Go you!

stuckeyfisher said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nice work Tiff. I'll give you some advice about hot dogs (solicited or not). Your boys should learn to eat them. I know they will be taken to many baseball games by their father. They may even go with their Papa or meet cousins there. What else says baseball like a hot dog! (Just make sure to cut the dog up into tiny pieces :)