Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy Lunar New Year

Every Monday evening there are no groups on site, so someone from the group cooks dinner for the entire group in the volunteer house.  We love this time, and the fellowship that comes along with it.  And Dustin and I have both participated.
But last night we got adventurous everyone.
Because we decided we were going to cook a traditional Korean dinner for the entire group (that's 30 people) in order to celebrate the lunar new year, which lasts for three days in Korea.  Let me clarify....we were going to cook an entire dinner for 30 people from recipes that only one of us had ever before glanced at, in a kitchen that was too small with not enough burner or counter space, using tools and pans we were not familiar with.
It was a test of our marriage y'all.
And in the heat of the moment, with five burners going, and 30 hungry people waiting for food that was supposed to be done 15 minutes ago, I know at least one of us passed.
And it probably wasn't me.
But in the end everyone said the wait was worth it and the fellowship was divine.  And it was pretty awesome teaching people from so many different countries about some traditions that are unique and special to our family. 
Overall it was beautiful.  
(even if the Japchae wasn't)
Here, let me show you...
Korean Egg Rolls - after I finally found a truly nonstick pan.

Bee Bim Bop to share.

'Korean salad; that I'm certain isn't actually Korean (because I got it out of the Mennonite cookbook.)

Countries being represented at this table alone: Canada, US, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Ireland, and The Netherlands.

I slaved away Saturday making these cute little dragon decorations since it's the year of the dragon and all.  And then today Miles came home from his Irish school with a much cooler version...
Show off.

새해 복 많이 보내세요 from the Wyse-Fishers
(this literally translates to: To send many new year blessings)


3 comments:

neitinomad said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmmmmm... it was sooo good! The egg roll picture makes me hungry!

everythingismeowsome said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm very impressed!!! I would be hard pressed to cook a meal that I was familiar with for 30 people!!!

Wendy V. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You're amazing!!! And, so is that Mennonite cookbook! :)