Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Beginning Days

"This is the first day of my life
Glad I didn't die before I met you
Now I don't care, I could go anywhere with you
And I'd probably be happy"
-Bright Eyes

The first few hours of your life.
I've mentioned before that you were "fierce", so I shouldn't have been surprised when your entrance into the world was unlike anything I expected.  Like your legacy inside my womb, it was active and fast moving - leaving no room for relief or regret.

Earlier on Tuesday we brought your Cece home from the airport.  I laughed about how unfortunate it would be if I didn't have you while she was still here.  That night I went over to the volunteer house to watch Twilight and to eat ice cream.  I was on fire - throwing out jokes left and right.  You would have been so proud.  Wait... you were there to hear them all.  They were good, weren't they?

You should know that I put down on my calendar that I was going to have you by lunchtime the next day - because I thought it would be the perfect day for you to be born, and (more importantly) I wanted to make sure I got a proper lunch on the day you were born.  You're a good listener.

Our first afternoon together in the hospital - just the two of us.




I went home early - I think during the part where Bella starts researching what Edward is.  I hate that part of the movie.  That was around 11:00 p.m. and I was seconds away from turning into a pumpkin - although I so closely resembled one that it wouldn't have mattered. So I waddled home and climbed into bed.

But not for long.  You woke me up just minutes after midnight.  It wasn't in a very nice way either.  I thought I'd wait you out.  You see, your brother had me going for days.  After 45 minutes I woke up your dad and told him we HAD TO GO.

Meeting your big brothers for the first time.




We got to the hospital at 1:40 a.m.  I told the midwife I wanted an epidural.  She convinced me to try some other things.  I was in too much pain to argue.  I tried her things.  I told her after each thing that I wanted an epidural.  We were having some sort of breakdown in communication.  Like I said, you were fierce.


Our first family portrait as a family of five.  Sorry about your hat.




At 4:30, after approximately 2.5 hours worth of begging, she started to believe me that I needed something strong - and RIGHT THEN.  They brought in the guy that gives out such goodness as epidurals.  If I could have had my wits about me, I would have hugged him. 

That man tried for a long time to give your mom the goods.  He had to keep stopping because you kept interrupting.  If you must know....I looked at my chart and it said that he didn't get the needle in until 4:58 a.m.


 
You were born at 5:06 a.m.  So you guessed it - no epidural for your mom.  I forgive you.

Not only did I get lunch, but breakfast too.  That first day was quiet and relaxing.  After your dad went home to email all of our friends and family with the news of your arrival (and probably to check twitter and update himself on the Olympics) it was just the two of us.  

An afternoon with no interruptions, no television, no internet, no book to distract me.  Only your face -  and tiny hands - and the fact that I could actually lie down on a bed without my body hating gravity.  Everything seemed so easy that we decided to go home less than 13 hours after you joined us. 
 
Your brothers loved you instantly.  Miles ran to the car to meet us and called you instantly by name.  Liam hasn't stopped kissing your hand since you got out of the car four days ago.  They both call you their "Baby brother Oliver."  I think you'll be great friends.

3 comments:

Wendy V. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love everything about this post. The pictures are just terrific! Congratulations to one of my most favorite families!!! So happy for the FIVE of you!

Rachel Petersen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh for Heaven's sakes, Tiff. Your writing, the pictures, everything gave me goosebumps. Wishing you so much happiness, rest, & enough time to shower AND pee every day! xoxo, Metz.

Rachel Kathryn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my goodness. That teeny tiny sweater in his day two pic is ridiculously cute. Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming post. :)