Thursday, February 20, 2014

Day 51: Teaching Art

Sweet little Artist Miles many years ago.

After my lousy day yesterday I had a hard time sleeping last night.  Insomnia doesn't come to me often, but when it hits, I usually know what I need to do.  Sometimes it's as simple as a glass of water. Sometimes it's opening my book back up for a few minutes reading.  Sometimes it's getting up and fixing a cup of tea and then sitting down with a pen and paper to write out exactly what I need to do the next day to make myself feel better. 

Today it was getting some concrete things accomplished and tweaked so that I could go into the next few days confidently. 

Something important about today...

Today I taught my first Art Lesson.  With some encouraging from my mother I approached the public library and asked if they would let me teach art lessons there.  I had no idea who would take said lessons.  I had no idea if they would say "yes".  I had no idea if it was something I would know how to do after years of being away from the elementary classroom.  (Was I ever in the elementary classroom?)

As 9 eager 3rd and 4th graders sat down in the library basement I instantly got excited about what the next hour would hold.  They asked questions, and answered my questions.  They weren't afraid to be creative and quirky.  This huge leap of faith ended up being incredibly refreshing and energizing. 

It was exactly what I needed on a day like today - preceded by a day that was frustrating, lodged into a week of unmet expectations. 

Today I am thankful that I took this chance.

I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but if the first day is any indication, I have a lot to look forward to.

0 comments: