Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day 86: Easier

Ollie's threat of a chocolate attack on all things upholstered today.

Today I drove by myself with my three boys to visit my parents in Ohio for the weekend.  We survived by shoving food into our mouths the whole way and only stopping three times to go to the bathroom (all of which were because of me - the one who couldn't hold it).

I'm reminded of the first time I drove out to Ohio by myself right after Liam was born - when I was a new mother of two tiny babies.  Miles could walk run everywhere.  He had only one speed - extreme, and was immune to instructions and even the occasional fevered nervous yelling. (i.e. "Don't run out into the parking lot by yourself!") 
Liam was only one month old and obviously still attached to my boob 3/4 of the day.  He also had decided at an early age that he was against all contraption that involved buckles and facing backwards...so basically carseats.

I remember driving out to Ohio and thinking that we were never going to survive if I had to stop - which eventually I did.  It's all a blur. 

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think Miles was even with me.  It was just me (a brand new nervous mom) and Liam (a brand new nervous baby).  Proof that it doesn't matter how many kids you have - it's easy to feel overwhelmed in just about any situation when someone is completely dependent on you.

But today went really well.  There was zero car fighting and I didn't forget anyone in the Hardees restroom we on the interstate.  We were the picture of cool.

Today I am thankful that some things do get easier.

I'm not looking forward to my kids growing up.  And I certainly don't want to rush it in any way, but I will take the good that sneaks up on me when I am not looking.

0 comments: