Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day 115: Sunburn

Tonight after the boys were in bed and I was standing in the bathroom I noticed my by my reflection in the mirror that I had a fresh case of sunburn spread out across my  nose. 
I hate when I am so careless that I get sunburn.  The truth is that for two years I didn't have to worry about it.  I bought one tiny travel-sized bottle of sunscreen for our family and didn't even use all of it the entire time we were in Northern Ireland. I'm trying to re-train myself to wear it.
Plus skin cancer has graced my family - so I try not to take it lightly.  Long gone are the days of me lying out in the sun for hours, slathering baby oil on my legs, spraying every hair on my head with Sun-In, and putting quarters over my eyes.  (Yes, I really did all of the above.)

But today when I looked in the mirror my remorse quickly turned to gratefulness.  There is little one can do about a sunburn after it has already happened.  However, one can remember why it is there.  We had a beautiful, glorious day outside in the sun.  Playdates followed by gardening, followed by bikerides and running.  It wasn't too long ago that these days of shorts and sun seemed light-years away.

Today I am thankful for a day of beautiful time outside after a long long winter.

0 comments: