Monday, April 28, 2014

Day 118: Babble

Tonight in an unexpected string of events I got to be home to tuck my kids into bed.  There are many times that I could give or take bedtime.  I know that isn't a popular opinion in the ol' magical mommy-sphere, but I don't much care.  I'm really more of a fan of the mornings anyway.  And the afternoons.  And the evenings.  I don't know, something about bedtime after 24 months has turned into a stall-fest of epic proportions and easily can last up to FORTY-FIVE M.I.N.U.T.E.S. 
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. 

Anyway, tonight I was lucky enough to make it home in time for bathtime, bedtime, all of it.  In some sort of crazy drawing of straws, I was given the task of rocking Oliver to sleep while Dustin was stuck luck enough to play a few board games with two older, overly-tired, hyper boys. 

We read a story and then, like always, I started rocking him to sleep.  That is my absolutely favorite part.  I would give up trying to give baths in a shower stall, trying to convince them that brushing their teeth is a good idea, and even reading stories.  I would give it all up for the rocking. 

Because something about rocking your baby back and forth while he contours to your body makes everything else seem okay and unimportant all at once.

And then the babbling.  Ollie talks to himself as he goes to sleep.  And now these non-descript babbles are turning into words.  Tonight it was a roster of every name he knew, on repeat. 

It was beautiful. 

Today I am thankful for that I made it home in time for bedtime.

I stayed in his room and rocked him long after I should have - listening to the combination of a lively board games mixed with his list of names. 
Mommy. Daddy. Mi-os. Liiim.

And so on.

It was my favorite part of the day.

1 comments:

Julie L. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful, Tiffany! Your sharing of this lovely bedtime ritual of rocking brought back fond memories of rocking "Silly" Seth to sleep. It was my most favorite part of each day, and enjoy it for as long as you are able!!

Love,

Julie